Recent Comments

• 5 years 43 weeks ago by: lee in reply to: A Halloween Story

Thanks for the comments, friends. I remember before we had kids, we'd make a HUGE bag of treats for our closest friends. It never occurred to us - until we had our own kids - that this was an AWFUL idea. And that was long before we knew anything about fair trade! What's your worst Halloween candy or trick or treating story?

EcoYogini, I'm with you on all that packaging - all those tiny candies!
    Gudrun, what do you give your kids in exchange for the candy?
    Shari, I thought we agreed not to share our crazy theories. :-)

Happy Halloween,
    Lee

• 5 years 43 weeks ago by: Shari in reply to: A Halloween Story

To EcoYogini:
    Here's my (conspiracy) theory: There never were any actual incidents of razor blades in apples, poisons in cookies, etc. Those "stories" were circulated by the candy manufacturers to convince us to buy a "safer" alternative: individually wrapped candy. Crazy? Perhaps. But look how effective it was!

To Lee:
    Great and funny post. Thank you for making me laugh this morning.

• 5 years 43 weeks ago by: Gudrun in reply to: A Halloween Story

almost a horror story!

We think about that every year too. This year, my daughter actually suggested something healthy, or not candy, which I was very surprised about. For both kids, we have a candy buy-back program in place, and they profit mightily. It is a tough call - I think we are going to go with reasonably sized candies this year and put it in the column of "everything in moderation"

• 5 years 43 weeks ago by: EcoYogini in reply to: A Halloween Story

HAHA. awesome. I remember bringing my little unicef box everywhere and getting pennies... i think we got candy too though.
    since I grew up in a tiny village- there was no fear whatsoever of poisoned candy or apples- so we always got apples and other fruits.

My issue is the excessive packaging for halloween- it drives me insane. I really can't wait to be living somewhere other than an apartment building so we can get the cute little trick or treaters, but at the same time I know that finding a package-less treat to hand out will be challenging...

• 5 years 43 weeks ago by: lee in reply to: A Halloween Story

Thanks for your comments! It was such an embarrassment as a kid, but now it's one of those memories I'll keep and cherish forever. Food is like that, as is doing something unique or bizarre - like taking a stand. Don't you think?

Bring on the Yummy Earth lollipops! (And the cheese and aebelskivers - are you considering putting those in the bags? ;-))

• 5 years 43 weeks ago by: Laura in reply to: A Halloween Story

LOL! That was funny. The past two years I gave out Yummy Earth lollipops. The older kids are NEVER happy, but the little ones love it. It makes me feel *slightly* better.

• 5 years 43 weeks ago by: Tangled Noodle in reply to: A Halloween Story

As an adult, I can appreciate your dad's efforts but as a kid, I would've chucked those raisins in the bushes for taking too much space in the T or T bag (actually, I think unwanted candy was 're-treated'). Kudos to him for at least trying, although a brick through the window is a harsh trade-off.

I would love to hear if other people have come up with alternatives to candy treats.

• 5 years 43 weeks ago by: Laura in reply to: A Halloween Story

• 5 years 43 weeks ago by: Ann Marie @ CHEESESLAVE in reply to: A Halloween Story

"We might as well have handed out dirty socks or old copies of the Atlantic Monthly!"

LOL!

Loved reading this post. I feel the same way about Halloween.

• 5 years 43 weeks ago by: Yogamom in reply to: Beware of the Soccer Snack Shrew!

I loved this article! My husband also remembered being handed orange slices after the game. I think I will do this next season (handing out fruit instead of the Rice Krispie treats)!